Monday, June 30, 2014

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Director: Garth Jennings
Starring: Sam Rockwell, Zooey Deschanel, Martin Freeman, Mos Def
My Rating: Didn't like it

I've never read the books, so I can't make any comparisons, but this seems like a story that would be hard to adapt into a film. Sometimes a story is better left to people's imaginations, rather than putting definitive images to it on a screen, and I think The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of those novels.

The film boils down to a relatively pointless and silly sci-fi adventure more suited for fifteen year olds than adults. And that's fine if that's the demographic, but I didn't care for it that much. Also, I'm not saying I'm above the material, just that I wasn't all that interested in it. I especially liked the depressed robot: he definitely provided the most laughs out of the whole film. I just don't think the film offered up enough for me to ever want to watch it again. I was interested in the beginning, then it gets really boring for about an hour, and then it gets slightly interesting again towards the end. If you like goofy sci-fi, you may love it, but this film is nothing to rave about.