Friday, June 13, 2014

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Director: Wes Craven
Starring: Heather Langenkamp, Johnny Depp, Robert Englund
My Rating: Loved It!!

1, 2, Freddy's comin' for you!

A Nightmare on Elm Street is a bonafide classic. Wes Craven created a story that has no bounds, and quite frankly I'm surprised there hasn't been more Elm Street movies. I've seen them all, and there is definitely untapped potential; after all, Freddy can do absolutely anything he wants to in their dreams. I'm positive in my lifetime some brave soul will make another great Freddy film. I can feel it!

3, 4, Better lock your door!

Other than the unlimited bounds Craven has created for the universe, he has also provided us with my absolute favorite villain: Freddy Krueger. Not to hate on the other horror genre greats, but Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees never even say a word. Maybe for some people that is more chilling, but not for me. Freddy has a snide sense of humor, which makes him way more appealing to me. His sense of humor shines later in the series, but you still get a bit of silly Krueger in Craven's original.

5, 6, Grab your crucifix!

This month, June 2014, marks the 30th anniversary of Nightmare on Elm Street's theatrical release. This film holds up incredibly well and is leaps and bounds scarier than most modern horror films. Contrast to the majority of "slasher" films, Craven doesn't insult the audience's intelligence. I adore the horror genre - I even like a lot of really bad horror films almost as much as classic ones, because most of them are a blast to watch - but man is it refreshing for characters to have logical thoughts and actions. It's quite rare in the genre.

7, 8, Ganna stay up late!

Elm Street is abound with classic horrific moments: Johnny Depp getting sucked into his bed and blood pouring out of it, Freddy cutting off his own fingers, Freddy's hand popping out of the water in the bathtub, Tina struggling for her life while levitating on the ceiling, etc. These are such chilling moments that only seem to grow more potent with each viewing!

9, 10, Never sleep again!