Monday, June 9, 2014

Evil Dead (2013)

Evil Dead
Director: Fede Alverez
Starring: Jane Levy, Shiloh Fernandez, Jessica Lucas
My Rating: Liked It

(I wrote this review back when the film came out)

The plot is simple – a group of friends relocate to a remote cabin in the woods to help their friend kick her drug habit. The rest of the key plot points play out similar to Sam Raimi’s original: the group discovers the book of the dead, one member of the group reads something from it they shouldn’t have, consequently conjuring evil into existence, then trees get a bit too handsy, and the only exit out becomes obstructed. Now, let the madness begin! Quick side note: there is one major addition to the story that ultimately leads to the best part of the movie, but I won’t mention it for fear of ruining it for anyone.

From a visual and technical standpoint, Evil Dead is gorgeous and impeccably shot. Props to Fede Alvarez and Aaron Morton, director and cinematographer, respectively, for the gentle care they took with the film. Colors really pop onscreen, making images like blood and the eyes of the possessed even more effective. Another huge positive: no cgi! To me it’s very refreshing to know that every single thing I witnessed was a product of clever illusions or tricks, rather than a computer.

The largest pitfall in Evil Dead is definitely the weak dialogue it contains. Half of the interactions between characters are weird and awkward, sometimes even laughably so. Quite a few times the crowd was laughing at the absolutely brainless comments said by the characters. I can’t even say that I enjoyed the lines blurted out by the possessed either, which I was rather looking forward to. I also found myself questioning a few of the decisions made by the characters, but these things are neither here nor there. No one sees a horror movie for gripping dialogue, and stupid decisions are made in practically every horror movie that has ever graced the silver screen.

Rivers of blood are used in the movie as a result of the unrelenting brutality throughout, brought upon via nailgun, shotgun, machete, glass, razor blades, and, it wouldn’t be an Evil Dead flick without one, a chainsaw. Alvarez knew he had to up the ante if he wanted to get the attention from the diehard fans of Raimi’s trilogy, and in my opinion, he nailed it. The casual moviegoers in the crowd were oohing and ahhing, and voicing their disgust very often; while the diehard fans like me were simply smiling, taking it all in one dismembered limb at a time. Alvarez struck a fantastic balance between nods to Raimi’s original and making the film all his own.

There comes a point nearing the conclusion when things start slowing down and it seems like the movie could possibly end. Up to that point I was satisfied with the feel of the movie, and satisfied with a few of the more creative blood-spilling endeavors, but I really wasn’t completely sold on the movie; I hadn’t been wowed yet. Things were winding down, and I figured there had to be a little more movie left, but I remember thinking if this ends now, it’s a completely average movie. But that wasn’t the end; it continued into my favorite horror movie climax I’ve seen in a very long time. It’s perfect. It’s visually arresting, intense, and incredibly brutal, creating the ultimate pay-off for a movie like Evil Dead. Alvarez clearly knew his audience because this climax is one of the few things that isn’t borrowed from Raimi’s original, and it’s f$@king awesome.

I’m a huge fan of the 1981 original, and I caught myself trying to compare the two films. That’s the natural thing to do to a remake that bears the same name and follows the original story closely, but don’t do it. Comparing the two is like the plague to the new one, it’ll always come up short. The question that needs to be asked: How does Evil Dead stack up against modern horror? It’s easily, and I mean by a mile, the best time you’ll have at a horror film so far in 2013. I’ve liked quite a few independent horror movies over the past five years, but mainstream American horror is in a huge slump. Since the beginning of 2009 all the way to 2013, the only mainstream American horror movies that I think are above average are: Sinister, Insidious, Piranha 3-D, The Crazies, The Last House on the Left, and Drag Me to Hell. I know this is my opinion, and you may gravely disagree, but that’s only six horror films out of a large number that hit all of America’s theaters that I would consider a great watch; and that’s a problem. With that said, here’s a bold claim for you: Evil Dead is one of the top mainstream horror films to hit American theaters in years because, even through the clunky dialogue, it still manages to be an incredibly fun and rewarding experience – something that even the brightest of horror movies have no idea how to do.

If the dialogue were more intelligent, Evil Dead would probably already be dimed a classic horror. Luckily, the majority of fans in the genre are willing to forgive shortcomings if they walk out of that theater satisfied. If you don’t like horror do us all a favor and don’t see it, it wasn’t made for you.