Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Excision (2012)

Excision
Director: Richard Bates Jr.
Starring: AnnaLynne McCord, Roger Bart, Ariel Winter
My Rating: Didn't like it

Man, this is one fucked up movie. Excision is about a very troubled high school senior, Pauline, who dreams about a future as a surgeon. Her preoccupations with being a surgeon seem to stem from an obsession with blood. Basically, Excision reminds me of Donnie Darko in form, except not nearly as good and way more messed up.

Excision has very stylized dream-like scenes that depict some of the thoughts of this crazy young girl. I adore horror movies but a few of these scenes were simply distasteful. I could've done without them. In fact, I think the movie would've benefited if it took out these scenes altogether and simply had more story, because for the most part I enjoyed the story. I get that these scenes are supposed to hammer home how messed up Pauline is, but I think it could've been done just as well another way.

If you like horror movies and don't mind incredibly messed up, bloody images, then I would say check out Excision. I enjoyed the story and how it led up to climax/ending of the movie. And I feel like it's a competently put together film, but if you don't like horror or blood, stay away from this one.