Wednesday, September 10, 2014

All Cheerleaders Die (2014)

All Cheerleaders Die
Director: Lucky McKee, Chris Siverston
Starring: Caitlin Stasey, Sianoa Smit-McPhee, Brook Butler
My Rating: Liked It

All Cheerleaders Die actually has a lot going for it. The story went in places that I did not see coming; The young actors all dive head first into their roles; It has the energy of a hundred cheerleading squads; and it has a great sense of humor. After the first ten minutes all I could think was, "why, oh why did I watch this piece of crap?" But it gets a lot better as the movie goes on. Honestly, after the first little bit, I thought it was going to be a simple high school revenge story, but good lord, I was very wrong.

A big key to how I rate my movies is simply how entertaining they are. Even though it is a silly B-movie, I still found it more fun and watchable than, say, Paranormal Activity or, more recently, The Quiet Ones. I am totally biased to the horror genre, though, so that may play into why I have given it a good rating; but I genuinely think All Cheerleaders Die is a cult worthy B-movie that is worth a watch.

So many reviewers have claimed that "it falls into the same horror tropes it's trying to mock." Either I missed something or they're completely wrong. I don't think this movie was trying to mock the horror genre at all, at least not in the same outward way that movies like Scream or Behind the Mask do. Nor do I think this movie was trying to subvert any horror genre tropes. I think the makers were trying to make an entertaining, bloody, campy teen horror movie; and in my opinion, they succeeded. At the end of the movie the title screen says "Part I." I will definitely be tuning in for Part II.