Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Ring (2002)

The Ring
Director: Gore Verbinski
Starring: Naomi Watts, Martin Henderson, Brian Cox
My Rating: Loved It!!
Budget: $48 Million
Box Office: $249 Million (according to wikipedia)

I truly think The Ring is one of the most frightening films of the 2000's so far, and one of best made horror films of the 2000's, as well. I was 11 when it came out, and it truly scared the crap out of me. I was having nightmares about Samara for weeks, if not months. I couldn't walk around the house at night without turning on each and every light. No other movie in my whole life has ever gotten a response that extreme from me.

The Ring stands out because it isn't some mindless flick only trying to get scares out of you. It genuinely has an interesting story that adds to the suspense of the scares; not to mention truly disturbing images that will be engrained in your brain for days. Plus, especially for a horror movie, the whole film is made exceptionally well.

The last scene, in which Samara climbs out of the TV, is one of the coolest horror movie moments in the history of horror. Moments like that are why I watch horror films. The Ring is probably the scariest PG-13 movie of all time. There isn't any gore, but I figure it should've been rated R just for the sheer terror and amount of nasty images on screen. The Ring will forever scare the shit out of young kids and adults alike! Just hope your phone doesn't ring when the credits roll.