Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

The Cabin in the Woods
Director: Drew Goddard
Starring: Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison
My Rating: Liked It
Budget: $30 Million
Box Office: $66 Million (according to wikipedia)

(there are spoilers, but it came out two years ago, so yea)

Being the movie connoisseur and horror buff that I am, I was beyond excited to see The Cabin in the Woods. That opening day finally came, I went to the first showing, and I downright hated it. I thought the story was absurd and stupid. A group of people behind the scenes ensuring that young adults get killed in order to sacrifice their blood to the gods to save the earth?! What. The. Fuck. I went to see a horror movie and I get this meta, quasi sci-fi, horror bullshit? Seriously, I hated it. But then I saw it again, and again; and I warmed up to it.

The Cabin in the Woods is purely a satire; so yea, it's absurd, because it's supposed to be. Sacrificing the kids to the gods in order to keep the world going is actually kind of genius and flat-out hilarious: it's the reason why we keep getting all of these horror films that are practically the same damn thing, because the world depends on it!! Pretty hilarious, but that didn't really sink into my head during my first viewing. Ultimately, Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard expand upon their satirical base story in funny and smart ways.

The moments at the cabin with the redneck zombies are actually pretty badass, although few and far between. But, as you probably know, The Cabin in the Woods offers up some of the most bat-shit crazy film moments in recent memory. The nightmares being unleashed is absolute satirical horror movie magic! It took me a few tries, but The Cabin in the Woods is definitely a unique and highly entertaining movie.